mardi 12 janvier 2010

Journey Home III (written 20/12/2009)

Okay … let's continue our journey going back to Belgium. Last post I was on the train to Dover. Well, I arrived in Dover at 19:27. My mum phoned and I told her I was in Dover Priory, waiting for my dad. I had 1 hour 35 minutes in front of me. I had naively thought Dover Priory would be a big station with shops and a heated waiting room … no no no ! The station was small, empty and freezing. Everything was closed and no one was there to indicate me where to wait or even give me basic information about buses going to the ferry terminal. I had to wait in a freezing cold waiting room with flashing red lights that were actually heatings (although they didn't really help with the temperature of the room). I was told by a woman waiting for her train that Dover's roads were icy and circulation was bad. As a matter of fact, No buses or taxis were going by the station and there was 3 miles of traffic to the ferry terminals. I waited for my dad in the company of an american woman, very nice.

Finally my dad arrived. It took us exactly 2 and a half hours before we made it to the ferry terminal. We then had to wait another half an hour to board. I am now writing on the ferry that is rocking like mad, making me feel quite nauseous. One of the reasons I don't take the ferry is that I hate it with a passion. I can't stand the feeling and frankly tonight is a very bad night. It is nearly one o'clock and I am in no way tired. We won't be in Brussels until late tonight/early in the morning.

The ferry is packed with people and we are sitting in a bar area. I have to admit I was particularly hungry after not eating for half a day and was delighted (sarcasm) to see that both restaurants were closed because it was passed 10 o'clock. I had to satisfy myself with crisps and a very far from good sandwich. Hopefully the rocking will calm down, although I have a feeling it won't. I mean, let's face it: I have had the worst travel day EVER. The boat trip has to be as bad as the rest of the day. Gosh, as I am writing, the situation just got worse. There is even more shaking right now … my stomach does not appreciate at all.

What is quite panicking is that before boarding, I was looking at the information board and P&O ferries announced to their passengers that Calais was now closed due to bad weather. We are on a Seafrance ferryboat and they haven't said anything … which is even more stressful.

Again, as the previous post, when this will be published much time will have passed (no wifi in the middle of the Channel) and probably both post will have gone on at the same time. I will have another post following this one with an update … telling you all I survived and am now back home (hopefully … or in a hotel, it'll depend). Also, before my dad left, he checked the weather forecast and it was planned that there would be a snow storm in France and Belgium over night. Hopefully, we will not be caught in it, fingers crossed.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire