mardi 12 janvier 2010

Journey Home (written on the 19/12/2009)

So, I have four hours to kill and I thought, why not a blogpost ? I now this doesn't have a direct link to our course or any work at all, but I needed to write, otherwise my fingers were going to fall off because of the cold.

Today I was supposed to be going home. Supposed because Eurostar has decided to not let me leave England. Indeed, I am sitting in Saint Pancras International station, which is freezing may I add, next to an ice sculpture, not helping with the temperature, unable to tell you exactly what the situation is. Everyone by now must be aware of the fact that one of the unions is on strike, which is already a pretty bad thing, but add up the bad weather and you get the current situation. I arrived in the train station about 2 hours ago now and not much has been happening. When I left this morning, I checked the eurostar website and they had an announcement telling all passengers morning trains had been cancelled and the services would all be delayed until Sunday midday. Well, on my arrival at the station, I was told that there was no delay as there were no trains whatsoever. Information is apparently not Eurostar's strongest point as I still don't know what exactly is happening and keep on getting different information each time I ask.

Some passengers have been waiting since early this morning and have now been put on a special list that give them priority sitting on the next train that will be leaving. Unfortunately, I won't be getting on a train before tomorrow morning, 9 o'clock. So, instead of waiting a whole night in a freezing station, my dad is coming to pick me up FROM BELGIUM. I will be getting a refund and sincere apologies from Eurostar ... well ... at least I'll get money out of this.

The problem with the situation is : no one knows what will happen for sure. Apparently the last train that left yesterday was stuck in the tunnel for 15 hours (this is one of the informations I got from a member of staff ...) and trains cannot leave because of the risks. Though there will be two trains leaving for Brussels and two trains leaving for Paris this evening, But the people that will get seats are the ones that have been waiting the longest.... I understand this but at the same time : I am an 18 year old student traveling alone with no money on my phone or on me for that matter. I don't know anyone in London and am scared (there, I said it ... I am FREAKING out). So even though I have a lot of empathy for the people that have been waiting all day ... they should do something for freaked out lonely girls !!!!

Now something that pissed me out about the passengers is the constant commentary about the strike. I understand people are not happy about the strike, but I am pretty sure the conductors have a good reason to do it and even if they don't, I see striking as a natural right. And people are always happy when they have this right ... so even though it bugs us, we should try to understand their reasons and I hope they get what they want ... It is a money issue although I don't have much information about it) and in this time of economic crisis, I understand that everyone wants a bit more. And frankly driving a train (do you drive a train ? What verb should I use ?) must not be a very happy clappy funny job.

Anyway ... I still have a lot of time on my hands .... maybe I'll look at the shops and buy myself another cup of coffee (with the £2 that I have left). I am stressed and my dad isn't too happy about having to pick me up in London (he HATES London with a passion) so I am very grateful of him to do so. My hands are now numb and I am bored out of my mind ... there may be another post to follow this one in a couple of hours ... let's take advantage of the free wifi !!!

Have a nice day.

1 commentaire: